Do What You Love With Passion!

It's been said that if we do what we love, it stops being a job and becomes a passion. I love to write as much as I love to design jewelry. With this blog, I will share both with you!

Friday, March 29, 2013

7th BEAD SOUP BLOG PARTY






Group #1 - March 30, 2013 Reveal


Welcome! Let me begin with a photograph and big hug and thanks for the beautiful soup mix sent to me by partner Kristi Briggs Harrison:







I was delighted the moment I opened her package and began to take in the assortment and colors of beads, sari silk, metal clasp, and lovely Marsha Neal Studio ceramic bead set! I loved her choices immediately and knew this would be a very fun design event. 

I let the assortment percolate in my thoughts for a number of days and then began to lay them out, opening to my muse. I brought out some of my own beads to add to Kristi's original mix, and began to see that a necklace was called for. The initial wiring began:





A number of the beads Kristi included were small in relation to the size of the large brass clasp, so I knew I needed to use larger beads from my own stash to create proportional balance. 

At the same time, I wanted to use everything that Kristi had sent along. I made numerous bead drops from her smaller beads, hanging them in front of the large ceramic focal bead. 

Kristi had suggested to me that I might want to make earrings, too, and had included two smaller ceramic beads that matched the large focal. I saw instead, combining everything in one large design element:




Marsha Neal's bead set is beautiful and all of Kristi's smaller beads are harmonious with the ceramic set. I like jewelry that is textured and tactile. The necklace focal invites one to hold and play with the individual pieces. They make a nice soft sound together, too. 

With the bottom portion of the necklace complete, I moved upwards. The one thing I did not use was the soup mix chain as it was too small for this large necklace. I opted instead for a larger cable chain, as shown in the photo below. It is equal to the visual size and weight of the wonderful clasp:





Kristi's clasp was too pretty to be hidden at the back of the neck, so I chose to position it in front and create a asymmetrical look. I incorporated the larger soup beads and a few of my own into this section.

The next step was to determine the final overall length of the necklace, shorten the chain and add the sari silk.




I appreciated Kristi giving me the sari silk to work with, as this was new for me. After some thought, I ended up weaving it through the cable chain, keeping it on the opposite side of the clasp.




With that done, the necklace felt complete!





Here are additional photos, closeups of the sections:





There is a little whimsy tucked in, which one won't see unless close to the necklace. Two gecko lampwork beads, facing opposite directions, stand guard and act as if they are holding the necklace in place! 







I like the drop on a necklace to be permanently wired to the main body. This increases the overall wired strength of a necklace and prevents the focal from being removed.







In closing, heartfelt thanks to Kristi for being my partner in this, my first Bead Soup Blog Party. I enjoyed this event very much!

~~~~~~~~


Before you hop elsewhere,
please see what my gifted partner
designed with the bead soup I sent to her!








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Thank you, Lori Anderson, for your efforts in creating the 7th Bead Soup Blog Party! Additional reveal dates for the 500 participating artists are April 6th and April 13th. 

All the artists participating in today's (March 30, 2013) blog reveal are listed below:







First and Last Name
Blog URL
Alicia Marinache
Amber Dawn Goldish

Barb Solem
Bev Breisinger
Birgitta Lejonklou
Breana Fry
Brenda Sue Lansdowne
Bridget Torres

Carol Dee Myers
Carolyn Chenault
Cassi Paslick
Cece Cormier
Cheryl McCloud
Cindy Wilson
Crystal Thain
Cynthia Riggs

Dana Hickey
Dana James
Darlene Fortier
Deana Hager
Deanna Cox
Deb Brooks
Debra Behrends
Denielle Hagerman
Denise McCabe

Diana Frey
Diana Welte
Dini Bruinsma
DiYana Alcalde
Dolores Raml
Donna Millard
Dot Lewallwn
Duane Clark
Dyanne Cantrell

Eleanor Burian-Mohr
Elisabeth Auld
Elizabeth Owens Dwy
Emily Greer
Enikö Fabian
Erin Grant
Eva Kovacs
Eva Sherman

Gina Hockett
Grace Rotenberg
Gretchen Nation

Hannah Rosner
Heather Davis
Heather Marston
Heather Powers

Ingrid McCue

Jacqueline Marchant
Jan Petek
Janeen Sorensen
Jane-Michael Stallings
Jasvanti Patel
Jayashree Paramesh
Jayne Capps
Jean Yates
Jennifer Cameron
Jennifer LaVite
Joan Williams
Jodie Marshall
Judy Riggs
Julie Anne Leggett

Kat Barron Miller
Kathy Lindemer
Kim Hora
Kim Houston
Kim Sparks
Krafty Max
Kris Lanae Binsfeld
Krista French
Kristen Stevens
Kristi Harrison
Kumi Fisher





Laren Dee Barton
YOU ARE HERE!




Laura Bracken
Laura Demoya
Laurie Hanna
Laurie Keefe-Cecere
Lea Avroch
Leanne Loftus
Lee Anne Messerschmidt
Leslie Schenkel
Linda Anderson
Linda Djokic
Linda Murphy
Linda Sadler
Lisa Liddy
Lisa Suver

Liz DeLuca
Liz Engriser
Lola Surwillo
Loretta Carstensen
Lori Anderson
Lori Bergmann
Lori Bowring Michaud
Lori Poppe
Lori Schneider
Lyn Foley

Maddison Langford
Magdalena Sikora
Mallory Hoffman
Marcella Austenfeld
Marcy Lamberson
Maria Clark

Maria Rosa Sharrow
Marianna Boylan
Marie Covert
Marti Conrad
Mary Ellen Merrigan
Mary Harding
Molly Alexander

Nan Emmett
Niky Sayers

Pam Chesbro
Pam Farren
Pam Sandy
Pam Traub
Pamela Gangler
Patricia Buchanan
Patricia Johnson
Patty Miller
Paula Hisel
Peggy Gabrielson
Perri Jackson

Rachel Baron
Rachel Stanley
Rain Hannah
Rana Wilson
Renetha Stanziano
Robin Reed
Rochelle Brisson
Rose Rushbrooke

Ruth Szapa
Sally Russick
Sandi Volpe
Sandra Pendragon
Sandy Richardson
Sarah Small
Shannon Hicks
Shari Replogle
Sheila Daniels
Sheila Davis

Shiraz Biggie
Shirley Moore
Skylar Bre'z
Staci Smith
Stacie Florer
Stacy Pomerleau
Stephanie Weiss
Sumi Rani
Susan Sheehan
Suzette Bentley

Tamera Norris
Tracy Choy
Tracy Stillman

Valerie Norton
Vicki Holliday





THE END!

"Happy blog-hopping, everyone. Thank you for reading
and have a great day!"
-Laren


44 comments:

kristibasket said...

Oh Laren, that is just amazing, beautiful, and a show stopper all in one!! You did a wonderful creation with all that I sent to you!! I Love those gecko beads!! Where or where did you find them? We have a anole (lizard kinda like a gecko)...he changes just from brown to green, but I love him all the same. I am always on the look out for lizard beads!

This was so much fun sharing beads, our lives, and our creations with each other! Thanks for being an awesome bead soup partner and a friend for life!!

PiPa said...

What an amazing work! so many different little details!

Cheryl said...

Laren - I love your creativity!! Your piece is amazing.

Krafty Max said...

amazing!! I love the different colors all matching the frog!! Great creation! ~KM http://kraftymax.blogspot.com/2013/03/7th-bead-soup-blog-party-reveal-33113.html

April Grinaway said...

Breathtaking !

Lisa Hughes said...

what you did with this piece was simply amazing- love love love how you used the silk ribbon on one side of the necklace weaving it thru the chain. well done Laren!

Perl - Eni said...

Love you necklace and color scheme!
Absolutely gorgeous pieces!

Kathy Lindemer said...

Very creative piece! I love the sari ribbon opposite the clasp. I think it balances it out.

Cornerstoregoddess said...

The pendant is spectacular. You added sch dimension and interest to it. Very xool!

Shiraz said...

I really like what you did with the focal. Great job!

said...

I'm on the 3rd reveal, I'm partecipating for the 3rd time on BSBP, I'm visiting all blogs...
this necklace is stunning, I really love it. great colors, great design!
you work with an unusual material and did a great job, brava!

ciao dall'Italia

Audrey Bélanger said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. I just.... wow.

Lori Jean Poppe said...

Laren Dee your necklaces as so gorgeous. I love how you brought everything together. Bravo!!

Sea of Dreams said...

So many pieces in your necklace, you'll never get tired of looking at it! Great job!

kathy stemke said...

Great necklace! Love the length and details. Gechos are so cool!

I’m in the third reveal. Can’t wait.kathy

Dry Gulch said...

Wonderful and interesting necklace. Love it!

Micheladas said...

what an amazing necklace..

Shyme said...

Pretty necklace!

Karin said...

Lovely work - I like how the little bit of red in the gecko's sets of the turquoise

vovsblog said...

beautiful work well done!

bailaora said...

great necklace! almost all incorporated beads!!!!!!

paula hisel said...

i love all of the unique layers in your necklace. gorgeous work!

Laura Bracken said...

What a great necklace! I love the color palette.

Leanne said...

Beautiful work!

Ann said...

That's quite a statement piece. I like the way you used all the beads in one cohesive piece. Well done!

Tara P. said...

I love it and I can tell just by looking at it that it makes a lovely jangly noise!

EWA gyöngyös világa! / EWA's World of Beads! said...

Beautiful design,lovely colors! Congrats!

Alicia said...

Gorgeous design! I love the asymmetry of the necklace, and the beautiful mix of media in a very lovely colour palette.

Shae Warzocha said...

You really did a great job, I love the lenght and how the more you look the more there is to see.

Liz E said...

I really like the way you added the small copies of the focal to the focal instead of using them in another way. The gecko's are a very sweet addition. The length of the necklace is FUN. You did a great job with your Soup, tasty indeed!

Cheryl Gangle said...

Your creation is absolutely beautiful! I like everything about it. Thank you for sharing!

Patricia Johnson said...

Very cool piece! I love all the little elements you put together!

Rachel said...

What a lovely soup you received! Good job using so many of the ingredients!

Loretta said...

Fun necklace. Nice use of your soup.

Janeen said...

Lovely! I love using mixed media in my pieces and you incorporated it here beautifully. Great work!

Bobbie said...

Your treatment of the focal is like a fireworks burst of beautiful color! Nice job of incorporating so many disparate components into one balanced whole. And the geckos are darling!

la mar de bonita said...

Lovely soup, your necklace is beautiful.

Lori Anderson said...

So very pretty! I'm so glad you used the sari silk -- I'm still really not good with it although I love what other people do with it. I adore the pendant embellishments, and I enjoyed your walking me through your process.

I hope you join me again next year!

Bev said...

Great pieces!

Susanm said...

Lovely necklace - thanks for sharing your design process.

sam Waghorn said...

What a gorgeous necklace, i love how you have used your soup, stunning.

Sharyl said...

Oh, this is splendiferous, Laren! I'm sorry to be so late in seeing it, but so glad I saw it finally! What a wonderful job you did--a masterpiece! I like how you explained why you made the design decisions that you did too!

I think the idea of using the additional two Marsha Neal beads (gosh those beads are beautiful!)...with the larger focal was inspired! Your gecko beads and the lampwork and placement of the cranberry colored beads were also perfect choices! I can't imagine this looking any better than it does done any other way!

Hurray to you and your bead partner! I'm so very impressed!

CraftyHope said...

What a really fun necklace you created. The weaving of the silk ribbon gives the chain a little something extra, but I must say that my favorite part is the geckos. They are just too adorable! And, the way you positioned them opposite each other really works on your necklace design. Awesome job. :)

Zackary Faraj said...


These are very nice beautiful, Thanks for sharing. Keep posting like this.
Beaded Front Design
Caviar Beading