Do What You Love With Passion!

It's been said that if we do what we love, it stops being a job and becomes a passion. I love to write as much as I love to design jewelry. With this blog, I will share both with you!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

YES, BY GOLLY, IT IS THE NEW YEAR!



I am one of "those people" who loves the holidays, yes. May I add to that statement, however, by saying that once done, I am done, and more than ready to get the new year revved up and moving.

The outdoor lights hung along the cedar fence and lovely tree on the deck went into storage on Sunday (January 6th).  It was cold outdoors and we had to layer our clothing to keep warm, but it was a job that got done pretty quickly.  Good thing, because it was raining by nightfall and I didn't want to drag this out later into the week.

My daughter gave me her iRobot floor vacuum which has been running around the house and making Springer Cat just a little uncomfortable.  Since I tolerate having to clean my house, it is nice to have something with robot in its name helping.  Now, if I could just get one about four foot tall that was willing to dust, do the dishes, clean the toilets...

Since I closed the door on December my energy for designing jewelry has been energized  again.  Of course, Valentine's is just a month away, so I have ordered heart-shaped pretties in lampwork and Czech glass.  They will be arriving in little packages within the next week and I am very excited for those arrivals!

I should share with you that I am a big fan of the PBS television series, Downton Abbey, now in its third season. My DVD for season three is ordered but won't be shipped until the end of the month. For now, I don't answer the phone on Sunday nights between 9 and 11 PM.  I already own seasons one and two on DVD, both books and the 2013 (there's that new year thing again) daily calendar on my desk.  

I love British history as told through the eyes of Downton Abbey's writer/producer. The house is beautiful and rich with paintings and antiques. This series is as rich for TV watching as Charlotte Bronte's books on British society, manners and classes are to reading.  I love the etiquette, jewelry and gowns of this series. The stories of the family upstairs and servants downstairs have a real depth and draw one in easily.

It is a little difficult to consider that one had to dress for dinner each day. I am afraid I am much more a creature of habit in my sweats and tees. Besides, who would do all that laundry, pray tell - my robot?  But then, that way of life was about filling the day, for the upper classes lived well, but as one of the Downton girls said, life was about tea parties, society and finding a husband.  If you were born a girl into a family of means, you could not inherit the estate. Only by marrying well could a woman achieve influence and power.

With thoughts of British aristocracy and fashion on my mind, I created the bracelet in the following photos. I was inspired and looking for something with a vintage feel that might have been made between 1910 and 1920.







Eight floral motif roses are brass stampings and connected end-to-end to form the body of the bracelet. Lobster clasp and soldered brass ring create a simple closure. Thirty-two tassels are wire wrapped and hang from both sides of the roses, using white Czech glass beads and clear crystals in two sizes.




Okay, I know, it's time for my chores.





Thank you for reading and have a great day!
-Laren



1 comment:

Doris Stumpf said...

love the roses! I wish you the best for 2013, hugs Doris