Do What You Love With Passion!

It's been said that if we do what we love, it stops being a job and becomes a passion. I love to write as much as I love to design jewelry. With this blog, I will share both with you!

Monday, January 21, 2013

CREATING HANDMADE VALENTINES

Each of our American holidays is unique for its meaning, food classics and color palette. With Valentine's Day just around the corner it has been fun creating new designs in earrings and bracelets. I will share some of my favorites with you today.

I received a comment from a gal who said she loves my earrings but prefers to wear short ones. There are days when I just want a pair of huggie earrings and I am out the door.  The majority of the time? Give me three to five inch earrings that dangle and catch the light and I am a happy girl!

Basically, I don't enjoy designing without several inches of freedom to be creative and colorful. Is this a weakness or strength? Actually, I am not concerned. (psst...it's a strength!) I adore lampwork glass beads and Czech glass beads. I love to wire wrap, too. Wire wrapping means I cut a length of wire about six to seven inches in length and construct the earrings in one length from bottom to top. I may add one or multiple drops at the end if I choose to, as well. What I do is allow the materials to talk to me. With a background in floral design I am always pulling elements of design from that basic knowledge.

The first photo is an example of lampwork in pink and white reversible heart shapes with a small floral motif in pink with green dots.  Because it is my focal bead, all other beads will be the same width or narrower. In this photo you can see I have added a "drop" at the bottom made of pink faceted crystal with green briolette crystal. The earrings are balanced in weight and symmetry, both in size and colors of beads. Crystals catch the light easily and the drops add extra movement. These are techniques to bring color, light and interest to one's face. (Men love earrings with movement!)







Here is an example of a shorter earring, possible because the lampwork bead, red roses, happen to be very small. I believe these are very sweet and appropriate for offices with wardrobe rules.







In this same theme, here are pink roses with silver hearts and pale pink bicone beads. Once again, sweet, simple, shorter:






One will never see herself "coming or going" in identical jewelry, as artisan crafted jewelry is created as either one-of-a-kind or in very small lots.  Once made, designers enjoy moving on to their next design rather than making hundreds of the same item.

This next example of heart shaped lampwork brings in a touch of blue florals and the playfulness of polka dots! This earring does not "say" Valentine and can be easily worn year round. I love the fun of the polka dots, another example of lampwork. In this pair of earrings, I have emphasized green and white. Clear crystals complete a look of elegance and pazazz. There are no rules anymore - these will be beautiful with a dress or a pair of jeans and white top.





  
This next Valentine is a one-of-a-kind bracelet and earring set named "Passionate Hearts". The earrings are wire wrapped with tarnish free copper wire and the bracelet has a leaf motif clasp strung on flexible copper wire and copper beads and spacers.  This set includes two styles of lampwork beads with faceted green crystals.






Are you a Pink Girl? You know if you are! The stunning lampwork used in these earrings have a black base surrounded with clear glass and dimensional pink flowers with black centers around the outside. They are paired with deep rose faceted beads and pink crackle glass with silver swirls. These year-round earrings are strung on gunmetal wire with a crackle glass bead drop at the end with pale pink bicone crystals on either side.






I hope you enjoyed this tour of handmade Valentines available in my shop.




Thank you for reading, and have a great day! 






No comments: